Save valuable time & money when buying a
new computer for your home or office!
Looking to buy a new computer and need some help?
These days there are so many choices, it’s easy to spend a fortune on a new computer – and still not get what you really need!
Here are some simple tips to help you get started:
When buying a new computer, it’s a good idea to know what
you are looking for BEFORE you start shopping!
So, how do you figure just what type of computer you need? Here are some tips to help you narrow down your choices, set your budget, and find the “perfect” computer!
Figure out your basic needs
- Will you be using your computer for work or personal use?
(will help you determine the size you need)
- Do you need the “biggest/fastest” computer?
(“cool” to have, but more expensive)
- Or will a medium or slower computer work for you?
- Desktop or laptop? When comparing desktop computers and laptops you’ll run into factors such as price, portability, memory and hard drive space.
- New or used?
(or surplus or refurbished, which can often get you a nice computer and save you money!)
Determine your budget
- How much money do you have to spend?
- Will you be paying cash or financing? (you might be able to get a good deal)
- Do you want a computer with everything included?
(will cost more up front)
- Or will you buy what you need separately?
(can save you money now, but might cost more later on)
- Do you want to buy in a store or online?
- Do you get any special deals through work, school, or a buying club membership?
(such as Costco, Sam’s, or BJ’s)
- Once you decide, compare prices at a few different stores
(you may be pleasantly surprised!)
- For more help deciding: PCMag.com’s computer product guides & reviews ZDNet.com’s computer & technology reviews
Plan for the future
- Most computers will be outdated in 3-4 years
(most computers will last longer than that, but won’t be able to keep up with new technology)
- While it is a good idea to plan for the future, you also need to be reasonable, too!
(by the time you need the added size and speed, you may need to upgrade and buy a new computer anyway, so don’t go too crazy right now unless you can really afford it!)
Decide on “extras” (which all cost extra money!)
- Monitor (17 in, 19 in, flat panel, LCD, etc.)
- Printer or all-in-one (fax/printer/copier)
- Wireless router
- Extended warranty (not always needed with good warranty)
While buying a new computer is a big decision, it is a lot of fun (especially after you have it all hooked up and working properly!)
Slow computer driving you crazy?
• Your computer repeatedly crashes or freezes
“FastPCSecrets” can help fix these problems:
Discover how to make your computer run faster without buying any new software or hardware – guaranteed!: